Sour Nook Inn
Real Ale and Good Home Cooked Food
Tel: 016974 76242
The Sour Nook Inn used to be called The Royal Oak, but was known by all the locals as Sour Nook as there were an awful lot of Royal Oaks in the surrounding area.
The map to the left is from 1839 and shows us as The Royal Oak.
When we took the plaster off in the entrance way to the bar we uncovered the stonework below showing the landlady in 1892.
As well as being a public house, it seems the building was also used as a local courthouse. We’ve so far found records of land sales and debtors courts in 1819 and 1833.
London Gazette Published 24th August 1819
To be sold to the best bidder, before Abel Moysey, Esq. Deputy Remembrancer of His Majesty's Court of Exchequer, at Westminster, pursuant to a Decree of the same Court, made in a Cause Walker v. Rimington and others, at the house of E.Jackson, Innkeeper, at the Village of Sour Nook, in the County of Cumberland, on Wednesday the 8th day of September 1819, at Three o'Clock in the Afternoon
London Gazette Published 29th January 1833
THE COURT FOR RELIEF OF THE INSOLVENT DEBTORS.
In the Matter of Christopher Bell, an Insolvent Debtor. NOTICE is hereby given, that the Creditors of Christopher
Bell, late of Haltcliffe-
We’ve also found a few links to the local churches. When the original tin Methodist Chapel was opened in the 1800’s the opening meeting was held in The Royal Oak, and in the early 1960’s ‘a harvest festival service was held in the bar of the Royal Oak Inn, Sour Nook, on the Penrith to Wigton road, the room being decorated with potatoes, carrots, turnips and other vegetables. The Rector of Sebergham, the Rev. Herbert Graham, stood on a lemonade box, behind the bar, while delivering his sermon.’